Sunday, April 5, 2020

So, here's the thing.

It's been a little better than three months since I posted anything, and there multiple reasons for that. The main one is my own hang ups.

You ever take too long to answer an email or return a phone call? You know you should, but you're just too damned humiliated to do it. The humiliation turns into shame, and then our old friend self-loathing sets in and the cycles of anxiety start turning and you go beating yourself up for every decision you've made that wasn't responding to that stupid chain email your Mom's sister sent you and all your cousins.

This is how I talk to myself.
My last entry was in December when I went on about sourdough starter, florid food blogs, and panther sputum, a phrase of which I am entirely too enamored. In my epilogue I mentioned that I was trying to write the blog I wanted to read, which is still true. Here's the thing...

I feel that I have metaphorically painted myself into a corner. I promised that my next post would be about sourdough bread. Then I realized that making a loaf of sourdough bread is, for most people, kind of a pain in the ass. I made three loaves in an attempt to provide content and screwed up all three. The last one didn't even make it into the oven. Instead of trying to figure out why I was having so much trouble, I got mad at myself for not writing what I said I was going to write. Then I started questioning if I even had any business writing anything for informative and/or entertainment purposes. If I can't do something FREAKIN' FANTASTIC should I even be trying.

Last week I bought a new used laptop for the intended purpose of blogging, and possibly starting a podcast and/or a YouTube channel. I have the hardware to do a, shall we say, rustic version of all three.

But what would I talk about? Cooking? There are better podcasts than mine for that. What kind of videos would I make that aren't already well-represented on all manner of digital media?

Let's pick up the pace, Wordsy Owl, the eyelids are a-droopin'.

I talked to my wife about this earlier today and she said, as is her wont, something amazing.

"You are the Fat Guy in a Little Kitchen, but that kitchen does have windows."

Which means I'm not going to concentrate so much on recipes. This will still be a food blog, but that doesn't necessarily mean we cook food. Maybe we discuss holidays, experiences, kitchen failures, the possibilities are endless.

So, your Fat Guy is still around. He's going to get to that sourdough sooner or later, but not until I can give you a either a decent specimen or a thrilling failure.

I tend to shy away from political commentary. Having your gears ground
 when you're trying to read about cookies isn't fun.

And yes, you did read the words podcast and YouTube channel up there. This is not to be taken as a promise of anything, but I have started recording...something. Not sure how good it is, but it's there.

It's not happening today, and it won't happen tomorrow. Next week isn't looking good and I wouldn't count on next month, either.

There's no timeline, just know that something is coming. Just not sure what that something is.

Be peaceful, cook delicious food.

No comments:

Post a Comment